Measuring our environmental impact
“If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it” is a favourite saying attributed to W.E. Deming, a famous statistician and quality specialist. Before creating and approving an efficient action plan, we start with the fundamental step of measuring things using two essential measurement tools:
- An assessment of ghg emissions which cause global warming;
- A life cycle analysis (lca) of our infrastructure and equipment.
An assessment of GHG Emissions
Since Data4 is an international corporation, we used the GHG Protocol methodology to qualify and quantify our GHG emissions for the three scopes.
- Scope 1 : Direct emissions from business activities
- Scope 2 : Indirect emissions from energy consumption
- Scope 3 : Other indirect emissions
Life cycle analysis
Data4 used a methodology based on ISO 14040 and related standards to qualify and quantify the environmental impact of our data centers throughout their life cycle from construction to demolition in the distant future. The LCA is based on multiple criteria that account for 16 types of environmental impacts, some of which apply to Data4:
- Climate change
- Depleted natural resources
- Energy consumption
- Water consumption