(Freelance) Senior Construction Project Manager
ABOUT THE ROLE
The position is part of the Data 4 Technical Department.
The Design & Development Project Manager reports to the Head of Design & Construction for Central and Northern Europe.
He/she will be responsible for the management of Design & Construction project of D4 in Germany, Frankfurt.
He/she is responsible for the execution of the project assigned to her/him in order to ensure the follow-up of the “Quality, Cost, Deadline from and end to end perspective: from Building Permit to Hand Over to the Operations team.
The projects to be managed are:
- Power Supply Projects
- Global Campus works including Underground networks, utilities….
- Offices building if any
- Datahalls, Offices Fit Out works post delivery
The senior project manager will be supported by:
- A team of external consultants: architects, Project Management company, Health & Safety coordinators, Commissioning agent….
- The D4 engineering team which will support him/her in terms of Design Validation, Tendering Phase, Commissioning and Hand Over
Main Activities in terms of Design & Construction Management
- Manage all the administrative procedures associated with the project (permits, classified installations) in relation to the
- in relation with the project manager, the architect, the specialized design offices and the local authorities, from the phase of constitution of the files until the obtaining of the permits.
- Ensuring exchanges with hyperscalers and key accounts to ensure the definition of needs.
- Accompany the entire design phase to ensure that the targeted Data Center meets Data4’s needs.
- Lead the engineering teams for the design phases.
- Act as the interface between the Operations and Design teams throughout the project.
Construction & Commissioning Phase
- Actively participate in the procurement process for the construction phase.
- Monitor the construction phase on a daily basis to ensure that the work complies with the contracts.
- Ensure daily compliance with safety regulations in the work areas
- Manage service providers with a direct contractual link with the project owner (EDF, control office, safety coordinator, CSI, design office, architect, property owner, project manager, etc.).
- Ensure exchanges and reporting with the construction and commissioning teams of the end client (hyperscaler and major accounts) throughout the projects.
- Ensure the interface between the Operations and Construction teams throughout the project.
- Ensure exchanges with hyperscaler and key account customers for the definition and validation of the commissioning plan and process.
- Manage the commissioning operations in relation with the commissioning agent, the commissioning team of the final customer (hyperscaler and major accounts) and the project management.
- Gradually put the future site’s operating team in a position to take over the site as soon as it is made available (training on technical packages, documentation, drafting of simplified procedures, etc.).
- Conduct all meetings necessary for the management of the project, including
- Technical follow-up with the project manager and the companies
- Reporting in English to the final client (hyperscaler and key accounts)
- Documenting the project; in particular, ensuring the proper handover of documentation (completeness and quality) from service providers to ensure the proper subsequent use of the works carried out.
- Generate the reporting required for this type of operation.
- Ensure the budgetary follow-up of the project in collaboration with the project management and the finance department of Data4.
- He/she is a technical reference for Data4’s hyperscaler customers and other majors: he/she will manage all reporting and direct communication to the final customers (he/she will be supported by external consultants..)
- He/she will also manage the relationship with all local authorities. He/She will be supported by external consultants such as the architect but also by the Country Director
- He/she monitors all technologies and architectures of Data Centers at the international level in order to guide the technical solutions that are implemented. In that framework, he/she will be work very closely with the Innovation Manager.
- He/she may also participate in the technical evaluation of future sites that the group may wish to acquire.
- He/she will be responsible to implement the sustainability policy of D4 and especially:
- Obtain the Bream certifications for the DC under design & build
- Implement D4 Environmental Road Map (waste management program, carbon reduction…)
- Finally, He/She will be responsible to implement on site the Health & Safety policy defined by the H&S Department. He/She will support the local representative of the H&S department
- Assist the Sales/Pre Sales teams in complex pre-sales processes involving technical and design issues.
- Participate, if necessary, in customer audits for the design of Data Centers.
- Technical team of experts from Data4 France
- Pre – sales and sales
- Project manager
- Project Management Assistant
- Local authorities (Town Hall, …)
- Specialized design offices
- Hyperscalers & large accounts
Education and experience
Graduate (Engineer or equivalent) in the field of electrical/climate engineering or generalist.
At least 15 years of experience in the field of construction project management.
The candidate must possess the following skills:
- German native speaker
- Bilingual level in English
- Experience working in English-speaking environments
- Excellent knowledge of the market and of the Data Center players.
- Mastery of all HVAC / CFo / CFa / Safety / Security / BMS / Structural / Finishing work of the Data Center.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and with other people
- Very high sensitivity to service continuity and security aspects
- Experience in project management in occupied sites
- Proven track record in project management
- Proven skills and taste for managing cross-functional teams and working together to lead projects
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Autocad.
- Highly responsive and adaptable
- Sense of customer service
- Sense of confidentiality, integrity and ethics
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to “popularize” the technique and the benefits for non-experts thanks to a discourse adapted to the interlocutor and his needs and constraints
- Ability to analyze and summarize
- Great organizational skills
- Ability to report
- Entrepreneurial profile, capable of strong intellectual mobility and multitasking within a small structure
- Ability to work methodically and independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to make decisions
- Rigor and method
- Team spirit
- Sense of commitment for their teams